[TN-Bird] Yellowlegs Big Movement

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 22:29:54 EDT

April 13-14, 2004
Ark-West TN
Kenny Nichols reported 4 to 5000 Yellowlegs at the fish ponds in Ark on
Tuesday, so I made a beeline to Ensley this AM just curious to see what was
stopped
by the belt of snow and weather. The numbers of legs there had tripled since
Saturday with a quick count of 624 Lesser Yellowlegs with a few Greater in the
mix. I was made aware that there was a concentration of these birds in
Lauderdale Co, Tuesday afternoon and swung up there after work.

The highest day count I've ever had in TN of yellowlegs was 1500 in Dyer Co.
back on April 23, 1989. At dark today after visiting Lower Hatchie and
Chickasaw refuges I quit counting and totaled up over 3100 legs and there were
more
still moving.

Nature moves in mysterious ways and some times She moves all at

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett, TN