[TN-Bird] Yellow-crowned Night-heron nest

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 05:20:59 -0700 (PDT)

Hi folks,

Yesterday, while we were walking on the Maryville Greenway, Tracey
spotted a Yellow-crowned Night-heron (YCNH) nest behind Midland
Plaza.  We'd gone looking for one 3-4 times over the last several
weeks, after a couple I met described to me TWO birds which fit the
description of YCNH.  I'd seen one along the greenway several times,
as have several other birders in the area.  But I've never seen 2.
While Nicholson (97) lists them as "rare to uncommon summer resident
of Tennessee,"  Blount is one of .10 counties where YCNH was
confirmed as breeding for the Breeding Bird Atlas.  I beleive they
have been confirmed as breeding in several other counties since then,
as their range expands.

We also saw at least 100 Cedar Waxwings feeding on Mulberries.  The
birds made the mulberries look so good, we had to try a few for
ourselves.  They were very good.  Allan had a few, too.  As we were
eating, several waxwings came down quite low to give us very nice
looks.

Charlie