[TN-Bird] Yellow-billed Loon- YES; Vermilion Flycatcher- NO

  • From: <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 20:24:37 -0600

2/24/04

O'Neal Lake, Hatchie NWR; Haywood Co.
Pace Point area; Henry Co.

I made a quick trip to O'Neal Lake when I got off this morning to
hopefully see and photograph the Vermilion Flycatcher that Jeff Wilson
found over the weekend. I spent about an hour and a half in the area the
bird was seen, with no luck. It was a cold, windy morning so I really
wasn't surprised that I didn't see the bird, as I had to leave before it
warmed up much. There was little activity there this morning. Jeff tried
briefly this afternoon as well with no luck. Hopefully it is still
around.

Don Manning and I made an afternoon run to the Pace Point area to look
for the Yellow-billed Loon found by Jeff over the weekend, as it would
be a TN bird for both of us. We had some nice looks at the bird from
about 3:15 this afternoon, as it cruised around and preened, we watched
it for about 30 minutes and it never dove. The Yellow-bill was staying
to itself most of the time we saw it, although there were usually
Common's in the vicinity. In comparison, this Yellow-billed is a real
bruiser, appearing larger in comparison to the Commons than the recent
Yellow-billed Loon in Atlanta. The location we had the bird was out from
the small cove that comes almost up to the road, that you pass on the
way to Pace Point itself. This is where the majority of the loons are
hanging out, in addition to the Yellow-billed, we also had an adult
Pacific, but never did see a Red-throated.We were battling a stiff wind,
and try as I might, I never could get a clear photo of the Yellow-billed
Loon. Jeff arrived late in the afternoon, and we watched the loons
seemingly come from all directions, for a total of 160+ when we left,
although new birds were constantly swimming into view. We never were
able to pick the Yellow-billed or any of the other 'good' loons that are
in the area out of the mostly sleeping and distant birds.

 The Rocky Point side was practically birdless, with not a single loon
or gull seen in the area, and very few ducks. The bay behind the
maintenance area did have 4 Common Mergansers (3 males & a female) among
the horde of other species in the area.

Jeff and I are going to bird the area again tomorrow.

Good birding!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN
Carroll Co.