[tn-bird] Yellow Crowned Night Heron

  • From: Robert <rwf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 22:33:31 -0500

Every reference I find to this bird says that it is "uncommon".
I saw it in West Memphis, Arkansas, just over the river from
Memphis, Tennessee.

http://topozone.com/map.asp?z=15&n=3893840&e=756188&s=25

I parked near where the Ten Mile Bayou borders a small city park.
The "bayou" is a medium sized ditch, about 100 feet wide. Its
water was sluggish but not brackish. The ditch looked neglected
with a white plastic bucket on one bank and part of a wooden
chair on the other, and who knows what toxic agricultural
chemicals mixed in the water.

I peeked into the ditch, and there he was, staring up at me
in full breeding plumage. Not fifty feet away, a Yellow-Crowned
Night Heron. I had never heard of this bird, until I saw it today
and looked it up in my field guide.

It is a smallish heron with red eyes, a blue-gray body and a
striking black and white pattern on its head. It was standing
in the mud on the bank in the shadows. It had yellow legs. Its
neck was stretched high, to spot edible things in the water.

It was Wednesday, around three o'clock in the afternoon when
I saw it. The weather was overcast with a misting rain, less
than a drizzle.

Robert Fowler
Memphis TN