[TN-Bird] Woods Reservoir Eared Grebe

  • From: Evan Buck <evanbuck64@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2015 22:31:35 -0600

Today my sister Sophie and I birded Woods Reservoir, primarily looking for
the reported Pacific Loon. After not finding the loon at Morris Ferry Dock,
we decided to check the dam. There was a huge raft of Horned and
Pied-billed Grebes along with some Ruddy Ducks. I found a nice Eared Grebe
diving close to the dam. It had the distinctive head shape, and was much
darker than the surrounding Horned Grebes. I included a link to an
iPhonescoped photo of the grebe below. After finding the Eared Grebe, we
checked Morris Ferry Dock again for the Pacific Loon, and eventually found
it against the opposite shore. (Not great views, but sufficient to ID it.)
It was a great day to be out on the lake, with very little wind and
moderate temperatures.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/111824724@N02/16251755680/

Evan Buck
Lincoln County