[TN-Bird] Woodcock Once in a lifetime view

  • From: roymel@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2014 07:50:52 -0500

While returning from our daughter's school yesterday morning, we were
greeted with a once in a lifetime view...in the area right past the
powerline crossing nearest Hwy 41A on Rippy Ridge Rd, , an adult
woodcock with two fluffy young ones were just beginning to cross the
road. We slowed to a stop and watched (with jaws dropped) as it did the
little strut with each step and the little striped fluff balls also
doing that same forward backward gait/strut- except theirs looked more
bouncey up and down appearance with all of their fluff...we watched as
they dispapeared into the grasses...

silence followed, still in disbelief!

I was then disgusted I for once lacked a memory shot... for the camera
that is ALMOST always in the car beneath my feet was at home (a video
cam would have been great as well)...

Alas, really busy yesterday and the week is no dofferent...I realize
yesterday's date was folly to many (April Fool's) but I assure you the
woodcock and babies were no joke!

May you have a bird moment today as well...

Melissa Turrentine
Bedford Co