[tn-bird] Wood storks and Roseate Spoonbills again.

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 21:53:53 EDT

Aug. 25, 2002
Ensley Bottoms,
Mud Lake
Shelby Co. TN

I was told by a group of Memphis birders that they had seen a single Roseate
this morning from the levee at Mud or Cocklebur Lake. I am not sure exactly
where the bird was seen.

The Wood Storks are still spread around but they like to roost in the day in
the tallest Cypress tree that you can easily see on the far side of Mud Lake.
This afternoon at around 2 PM, I saw a single Roseate through the trees as it
fed in Cocklebur Lake. It could not be found later but 4 of us had frame
filling Tennessee views of an adult YELLOW-BELLIED FLYCATCHER while searching
this area from the levee.

Late this afternoon, I saw another Roseate leave Mud Lake and fly back into
Cocklebur Lake. Seen through the tangle were a whole lot of birds feeding
together including; Wood Storks, White Pelicans, Snowy and Great Egrets plus
Little Blue Heron, Green Heron, Black-crowned Night-Heron, Greater
Yellowlegs, Lesser Yellowlegs, Least terns, Black-necked Stilts, Killdeer and
DC Cormorants.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA