[TN-Bird] Wood Storks-Wood Storks-Wood Storks

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 19:30:27 EDT

Sept. 13, 2003
Mud Island and Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN

This morning, as Nancy Moore mentioned earlier, I had 8 Wood Storks fly in
from Arkansas and drop into the trees on Loosahatchie Bar, across from Mud
Island. There is evidently a pool of water hidden in these trees somewhere as
they
have dropped in there the last few mornings.

On Riverport Road, the road into Ensley Bottoms, I found 14 immature Storks
sitting in the trees and stealth feeding in the water, among a bunch of Wood
Ducks and 2 Red-shouldered Hawks. They were in the first swampy area you come
on the left side of the road. I was able to park and get some photos, as
close as I have ever been to Wood Storks in TN while they were on the ground.
Two
other birders came up as I was photographing these birds and we enjoyed great
looks at these "ancient looking" young birds. I'll share the photos if you
will drop a line.

After the rain, about midday, they had disappeared. Coming out from the pits
this afternoon at 5:00 PM, I found 3 immature Wood Storks feeding in a small
pool left in Horn Lake Slough, directly across from the entrance to the Corp of
Engineers on Riverport Rd. A quick trip to the river front did not produce
anymore storks.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA