[TN-Bird] Wood Storks in TN (just barely)

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 23:14:59 EDT

August 31, 2003
Cocklebur Lake
Shelby Co. TN

We had had a tremendous run of luck on Saturday but missed the final bird on
Roly Lloyd's, 6 species wish list, because of rain in Arkansas. I decided to
return to the pits at Ensley Bottoms on Sunday and check out the shorebirds
after the rain and then take a chance on the Mud and Cocklebur Lake area to
produce Wood Storks, as I had seen 4 soaring there just last week.

Both plans worked as we ended up with 18 species of shorebirds at the pits,
including knock out and close up looks at Upland Sandpiper, Buff-breasted
Sandpipers and relocated the immature Wilson's Phalarope among others.

When we arrived on the levee after dropping into Mississippi to get to this
remote area of Tennessee, I told Roly to keep an eye on the sky and that hardly
said I saw a white glint in the distance. It was a single soaring Wood Stork
and we had the last species marked off Roly's list. Before we left, 18 Wood
Storks were seen rising on a thermal and heading west. After dusting this last
species we headed north to the Reelfoot area looking for more shorebirds.

I'll get a summary together on our long weekend Runabout and post it later.
Nothing better than a long weekend with great birds and a dedicated birder with
a passion for shorebirds.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA