[TN-Bird] Wintering birds scarce this year, but have a few.

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 13:31:03 -0500 (EST)

Hello Birders,

Here in the Charlotte Park area of West Nashville, Davidson County, I
finally have a yellow-bellied sapsucker in my yard, the first in over two
years.  My bossy mockingbirds returned to eat peanut butter on January 30,  and
are here now after I just put out more and called out, "C'mon  Bossy!"  They
take a hiatus until the wild grapes and my holly berries are  depleted.  A
large number of chickadees and titmice swarm over my  thistle feeder daily.
ONE white-throated sparrow, one chipping sparrow and  three juncos feed
infrequently.  I usually have lots of them plus a song  sparrow or two, but not
this year.  There is just one pair of cardinals  which is down from the
eight to eleven couples that I once entertained.  An  infrequent house sparrow,
rarely a house finch, very few starlings or rock  pigeons have come this
winter.  Three brown creepers on my back yard  trees, twenty to thirty mourning
doves and a male towhee are here to  feed on a regular basis.  Crows and a
few grackles visit my back yard  and deck sporadically.  Numbers are really
down.

A little while ago, one of my cute little chipmunks came out from its den
in the woodpile to fill its cheek pouches with seeds.  At least, that
sharp-shinned hawk did not get them ALL a couple of months ago.  My  FAT
squirrels feed just about all day every day.

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN