[TN-Bird] Winter birds & migrants

  • From: magreene@xxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 09:06:12 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

A few winter birds are beginning to show up here in NW Tennessee and there are
still a few lingering migrants as well.

It's been a good week for raptors for me beginning with a nice dark-morph
Red-tailed Hawk that I saw on Monday, October 17 in the Middle Fork of the
Forked Deer River bottoms between Eaton & Gibson Wells in Gibson County.  This
bird was fairly skittish but was almost solid black with the exception of a
rufous red tail.  Four Eastern Red-tailed Hawks were seen in this general area
as well.  On Tuesday, October 18, south of Samburg in Obion County, I had a
high-flying southward moving Broad-winged Hawk.  Cooper's and Sharp-shinned
Hawks have made a good showing as well as I have had several of each in various
locations this week.

Sparrows are starting to show up in good numbers as well and I've had the
following sparrows this week in various locales:

White-throated Sparrow, White-crowned Sparrow, Swamp Sparrow, Song Sparrow, and
Vesper Sparrow.  The Vespers were seen on Monday near the same location where I
had the dark-morph Red-tailed Hawk.  Chipping Sparrows are still around in good
numbers as well.

Good birding,

Mark Greene
Trenton, TN