[TN-Bird] Wing tagged Great Egret

  • From: Scott Somershoe <Scott.Somershoe@xxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2014 15:33:38 +0000

All,
John Champion and Samantha Christen sighted a wing tagged Great Egret while
kayaking at the Hiwassee Refuge, Meigs Co., on 30 Oct 2014.  They passed along
the info to me and I got some info on the bird.  It was banded at Nottawasaga
Island, near Collingwood, Ontario, about 1.5 hrs drive NNW of Toronto in
southern Georgian Bay, Lake Huron on 26 June 2014 as a juvenile.  This is part
of a banding study to identify migration and wintering areas of Great Egrets.

Here's some info on the project:
http://nybirds.org/MarkedBirds/GREG.htm

And just a couple days before their sighting, eBird had a post about the
project.
http://ebird.org/content/caribbean/news/great_egret_migration/

Keep your eyes open for more of them (and report them)!

Cheers,
Scott Somershoe

State Ornithologist
Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency