[TN-Bird] Wind Birds - Upland, Buff-breasted and Baird's

  • From: olcoot1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2007 23:54:29 -0400

Aug. 5, 2007
Mississippi River
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co, TN
What a difference a day makes! Yesterday there was a nice bunch of birds at the
pits but this morning there were enough to keep me busy searching through them
most of the day. Almost the first bird in my scope today?was an adult Baird's
Sandpiper. It stayed in one place all day while another found later popped
around all over the place.?I got a few nice photos of the first bird and later,
up popped a Buff-breasted but it stayed way out on the flats and the heat waves
made for poor but IDable shots.

The first of season, immatures of Pectoral, Lesser Yellowlegs made their
appearance over night?and the young Least and Semipalmated Sandpipers keep
piling in. Semipalmated Plovers numbers were up but in the mix I could find
only 2 Western Sandpipers for the day. A few Mississippi Kites and a resident
Red-tailed Hawk were the only things keeping the Wind Birds on their toes; no
Cooper's or Peregrine.

There were a lot of birds to look through and Ensley is due a rarity but there
were only 14 species at the pits with a Greater Yellowlegs and a pair of
Black-necked Stilts on TVA Lake. At Dacus Bar, I added a Ruddy Turnstone and a
surprise pair of Upland Sandpipers. There were a dozen Black Terns hunting the
river.

Good Birding!!

Jeff R. Wilson
Ol'Coot TLBA