[TN-Bird] Wind Birds - They're Back- TN-AR-MS

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: missbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, ARBIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 09:08:38 EDT

March 13, 2010
Shelby Co. TN
Crittenden Co. AR
DeSoto and Tunica MS

Thursday, I made a quick run through, north DeSoto Co. MS and Ensley
Bottoms in TN and found Lesser and Greater Yellowlegs, Wilson's Snipe,
Pectoral,
Least Sandpipers and Long-billed Dowitchers scattered in both locations.
Last  week Robco Lake went from 3,000 Scaup to 200 over one night, so things
were  moving.

Yesterday, I started in Crittenden Co, AR and at the old Benwood Lake area
and Bob White Road located 9 Lesser Yellowlegs, 120 Pectoral and 30 Least
Sandpipers along with many Wilson's Snipe and 45 Long-billed Dowitchers. I
also  had a group of 50+ Golden-Plovers whistle by, my first of the season.

At Ensley, TVA Lake held a few hundred Lesser and Greater Scaup plus the
female Red-breasted Merganser that has been around a few weeks plus Gadwall,
Shovelers, 40 Green-winged Teal, 5 Bufflehead and a single female
Ring-necked  Duck. In the plowed fields were 32 Golden-Plovers but at the pits
only
scattered  Least Sandpipers, 3 Long-billed Dowitchers and a few Snipe and
Pectoral Sandpipers.

I headed to Mississippi where I found the mother load, at one of the
Golden-Plover fields that produces year after year, Plovers were everywhere as
far as you could see, 600+ counted as best as I could; then two groups few
over  with 200 and 300 birds. When a Harrier came across the field and the
large group  took flight, I heard a Upland Plover calling but never saw the
bird. This is an  early date for me at this location for the Upland but they
appear here every  year. I traveled south to Tunica Co. and found more
Golden-Plovers at 2 regular  locations plus two large groups of Pectoral
Sandpipers
100+ in each wet  field and another group that flew in tight formation
across Buck Island  Road. Scattered Wilson's Snipe plus Lesser and Greater
Yellowlegs and 45 more  Long-billed Dowitchers feeding in a drained fish pond
rounded out the day.

They're Back!! Enjoy
Good Birding  !!!

Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6300 Memphis-Arlington Road
Bartlett, TN  38135
http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/
What is this feathered thing that  lifts my heart to the heavens.