[TN-Bird] Win Some - Lose Some at Ensley Bottoms

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 22:42:46 -0400 (EDT)

July 28, 2011
Ensley Bottoms, TVA Lake
and Robco Lake
Shelby Co. TN

The Whistler triplets are hunkered under the same bunch of  Lamb's Quarter
with both Mom and Dad standing guard. They are almost completely  hidden but
I can make out the bills on all three in the pile. Their bills are  already
way out sized for their bodies; they look like the Jimmy Durante's of  the
duck world. Hanging around with the Mallards of all sizes and ages are now 2
 Blue-winged Teal.
Over at TVA Lake, 9 Black-bellied Whistlers and 2 DC  Cormorants plus a few
Mallards, Lest Sandpipers and 2 Spotted make the  list.

On the loser side another predator can be added to the Least  Tern
youngster's list. Don't get too close to the Great Blue Heron as one chick  was
bill full and swallowed in one gulp.

At Robco Lake, there are 6 male Ruddy Ducks, the female type  seen earlier
in the season seems to have disappeared. No young this year? Maybe
next.....

Jeff R.  Wilson / TLBA
6300 Memphis-Arlington Rd.
Bartlett, TN. 38135_  http://WWW.pbase.com/ol_coot/_
(http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/)
What is this feathered  thing that lifts my heart to the  heavens.