[TN-Bird] Wilson's phalarope, stilt sandpipers, etc (Gallatin, TN)

  • From: david kirschke <dkirschke@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-birds <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 07:27:42 -0700 (PDT)

I obtained permission to bird the Gallatin Steam Plant yesterday.  Construction
is underway on the levees and so it is probably not possible to go in during
the week(?). There is one small wet area holding a few shorebirds that is
adjacent to the large pond in the middle of the plant (west of the pond that
can be seen from the railroad tracks along Steam Plant Road.  Seems like I have
seen a map in the past with these ponds label but can't remember where.  Many
of the waders appear to be spending the day at Lewis Pond, which is private
property, and coming back in the evening.  I got to see an immature little blue
heron (mostly blue with white patches) fly in.  I also had a peep that I could
not identfy which refused to fly away and leave me alone (see photos at link
below).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dkirschke/

Location:     Gallatin Steam Plant
Observation date:     8/15/09