[TN-Bird] Willet, Buff-breasted Sandpiper, etc. (Cocke Co., TN)

  • From: Alice Loftin / Don Miller <pandion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 22:25:28 -0400 (EDT)

August 30, 2009
[posting date: August 31, 2009]
Cocke County: Rankin Bottoms

Observers, in canoe: Leslie Gibbens , Ginger Goolsby , Don Miller, Mike Nelson,
Michael Sledjeski

There were also several observers on shore, including Ron Hoff, Harold Howell,
Dolly Ann Myers, and David Trently . I think there may have been others, but I
did not get a full list. My apologies for inadvertently omitting anyone.

Undoubtedly I missed some of the birds observed by some of the party, so the
figures below are undercounted somewhat. Highlights included:

Pied-billed Grebe (1)
Double-crested Cormorant (22)
Great Egret (80)
Green Heron (2)
Black-crowned Night-Heron (3)
Osprey (at least 2)
Bald Eagle (2--1 immature, 1 adult)
Semipalmated Plover (13)
Killdeer (65)
Lesser Yellowlegs (7)
Willet (1)
Sanderling (1)
Semipalmated Sandpiper (at least 6)
Western Sandpiper (2)
Least Sandpiper (at least 14)
Pectoral Sandpiper (6)
Buff-breasted Sandpiper (1)
Short-billed Dowitcher (2)
Ring-billed Gull (43)
Caspian Tern (4)
Common Nighthawk (7)

Mike Nelson also saw three White Ibises before the canoe trip began.

All the shorebird species offered excellent views. Especially impressive were
the point-blank looks we had at the Western Sandpipers, several Semipalmated
Sandpipers, and a few Leasts . The peeps put on a real ID clinic, which
included flight vocalizations from all three species.

Don Miller
Greeneville , Greene Co., TN