[TN-Bird] Wild Grape Feeding & Other Observations

  • From: "David Stone" <rockyturf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 11:18:01 -0400

    Yesterday afternoon from 5:30 until 8:00 I got a chance to look for birds
around The Honors Golf Course in Ooltewah. I saw lots of activity on a Weeping
Willow growing by a small artificial creek that had mostly ripe Wild Grapes
growing on a vine on the tree. Birds I observed eating Wild Grapes included :
Northern Flicker, Eastern Kingbirds (3 after having a flock of about 40 most of
last week), Eastern Bluebirds (several), American Robbins (many) and Summer
Tanager.
    In spite of still having high temperatures (it was 97 officially in
Chattanooga yesterday), I know migration must have picked up the last few days.
I have not had time to stop and look closely but I am seeing a lot more small
birds flying around in trees as I ride by.

A complete list of birds I saw on the golf course yesterday or earlier this
week and comments included :

Mallard
Wild Turkey (15-20 yesterday)
Great Blue Herron

Green Herron (1 remaining after having 3 for past few weeks)

Turkey Vulture
Cooper's Hawk

Red-shouldered Hawk
    (for past 2 weeks - did not have any here during summer)

Broad-winged hawk
    (usually have seen 2 all summer this year)

Red-tailed Hawk

Sora or Yellow Rail yesterday
    (not sure which and is not a bird I normally see here -
     pretty small for a Sora)

Killdeer
Mourning Dove
Great Horned Owl (heard)

Chimney Swift
   (50 or more have been her for at least 2 weeks)

Ruby-throated Hummingbird
    (yesterday feeding on an unknown native weed)

Belted Kingfisher
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Pileated Woodpecker
Eastern Wood-Pewee (several)
Eastern Phoebe
Great-crested Flycatcher (2 together yesterday)
Eastern Kingbird
Blue Jay
American Crow
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
Brown-headed Nuthatch (1 at sunflower feeder)
Carolina Wren
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (3 earlier in week)
Eastern Bluebird (many)
American Robin (many)
Northern Mockingbird (several)
Brown Thrasher (1 yesterday)
European Starling (thank goodness only occasionally)
Pine Warbler
American Redstart (a male yesterday) - I do not see
                                                          these in summer

Northern Waterthrush yesterday (2 or 3 by artificial creek)
    (could use some help to make sure not a Louisiana)

Summer Tanager
Eastern Towhee (have been silent and scarce for last month)
Chipping Sparrow
Song Sparrow (molting)
Northern Cardinal
Common Grackle
    (at times big flock eating sunflower seed in yard)
 House Finch
American Goldfinch (eating off weeds and at feeders)

David Stone
Ooltewah, Tn.
Hamilton Co.

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES