[TN-Bird] Whopping Cranes in Coffee Co TN

  • From: James Peters <jpeters@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 22:38:28 -0600

Don Davidson and I made a late afternoon excursion to Woods Reservoir
today   hoping to see some of the excellent birds recently reported on
TN-birds.  When we were at the dam, we ran into a local duck hunter, Travis
Everhart, who kindly informed us that early today he had discovered 5
Whooping Cranes at the Elk River channel mudflats near the Woods Reservoir
dam.  At about 4:00 pm this afternoon, led by Mr. Everhart,  we saw 5
Whooping Cranes on the mudflats off Beth Page Road between Paynes Church
Road and Gaines Circle Road (officially in Estill Springs, TN).   All of
the cranes wore distinctive leg band adornments.

As previously reported, the bird activity we encountered today at Woods
Reservoir was astounding:  countless Ring-billed and Bonaparte's gulls
flying over the lake, along with an amazing number of ducks. Numbers of
Hooded Mergansers were especially impressive.   Best ducks that we could
see well enough to identify in the two hours of late afternoon daylight
were 9 White-winged Scoters.

Jim Peters
Coffee County, TN