[TN-Bird] Whooping Crnes Leave Hiwassee

  • From: JimmWilkerson@xxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 16:15:45 EST

Hiwassee Refuge
Meigs Co., TN.
Much to the delight of 45 or so spectators, just after 8 AM this morning the
Whooping Cranes were released to continue their southward migration.  Again
this year, the birds were reluctant to leave.  A total of four passes were made
over or very near the gazebo.  One aircraft left on it's second attempt with
three cranes in tow.  The other two aircraft made additional passes as the
birds would break away making an attempt to return to the enclosure that had
been
their home since last Tuesday.  Finally, the other thirteen birds formed up
and began to surf/flap behind one of the aircraft.  The third aircraft was now
freed up to fly chase position slightly behind the main group and keep guard in
case one or more of the birds decided to break away.  That's what we saw as
we wished this group a safe journey on their continued quest for the wintering
grounds on the gulf coast of Florida!  Actually, it wasn't that cut and dry as
it took over thirty minutes of crane wrangling by the aircraft operators
before all the birds flew out of sight.

About the time I was ready to return home, a cell phone call came through to
one of the team members stating four of the birds were on their way back.  I
don't think anyone in our group saw them fly back into Hiwassee but a few of us
saw them being trucked away later.  These four will get a free ride to
somewhere in the Calhoun, Georgia area.

I had wondered since last year just what the attraction was for the birds not
to want to leave Hiwassee?  Some of my speculation centered on the fact that
they can see and hear thousands of Sandhill cousins nearby.  I think I may
have came across the real reason a few moments ago as I was rereading my copy
of
Operation Migrations Spring `03 newsletter  -IN...Formation-.  The permanent
pen constructed here at Hiwassee is actually built with one end of the pen in a
watery marsh area.  The article goes on to say this is the first time the
birds have had opportunity to forage in water since leaving the wetlands of
Necedah.  Could this "avian utopia" be the reason for their reluctance to leave
Hiwassee?  Most of us had felt it was due to plain ole good Tennessee
hospitality!

Jimmy Wilkerson
Hixson, TN.