[tn-bird] Whooping Cranes Over Tennessee Walk-a-thon

  • From: JimmWilkerson@xxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 09:23:57 EDT

The Whooping Cranes Over Tennessee Walk-a-thon would like to thank all the
walkers who have registered at this time. We are quickly approaching the
October 10th start date, and are delighted to see that most of the 140 miles
have registered walkers in place. There is however a section from Clarkrange
to Woody and into Crossville (13 mile total) where no one has registered. If
you have been considering walking with us and have not yet registered, please
consider walking a mile or so here.
The Walk-a-thon's last mile will lead our walkers into the Tennessee River
Park off Amnicola Highway, on October 19th where a festival will be in
progress. All previous walkers who are able to  join regustrants walking the
last mile, are invited to meet at the Chattanooga State University parking
lot at 1:30pm on the 19th.
THE CHATTANOOGA WHOOPING CRANE FESTIVAL is from 1:00 until 6:00 Saturday
afternoon. Admission is free.  There are 10 seminars and 20 exhibits
confirmed at this time.  The Knoxville Zoo which has joined our walk will
present on center stage at 4:00pm, and Larry Ramsey will join us with his
Ultra-light airplane for the day. The results of the Auction will be
announced at 5:00 and the Whoooping Crane Kite that traveled the route from
mile to mile will also be auctioned. Director Gary Myers of TWRA will deliver
our Keynote address, and will join John Christian and Dave Duval to accept
the presentation of funds raised and announce the winners of the drawings and
door prizes. Delicious barbeque dinners provided by BONE'S BARBEQUE will be
served (based on presold tickets) starting at 5:30.
A Falcon Watch at the Chickamauga Dam and a Bird Walk along the river are
also being scheduled for that day.  A final seminar and exhibit schedule is
forthcoming with times, subjects and speakers to be announced.
The entire focus of the Festival is directed toward education, conservation
of lands, habitat and resources, and the recovery and reintroduction of
species in Tennessee. IT IS NOT TOO LATE FOR ANY BIRD CLUB TO BE REPRESENTED
AT THE EVENT. WE ARE SEEKING BIRDING INFO FROM ALL AREAS AND CLUBS IN
TENNESSEE. BIRDERS THROUGH OUT THE STATE ARE SEEKING NEW BIRDING LOCATIONS TO
VISIT AND FELLOWSHIP WITH FRIENDS. TO RESERVE A SPACE E-MAIL CONTACT INFO TO
craneinfo@xxxxxx, attention Cynthia Wilkerson, South Coordinator, Whooping
Cranes Over Tennessee.

We celebrate the return of the Whooping Crane into the eastern flyway, and
especially into Tennessee.  Please come and bring friends. We are looking
forward to seeing many of our friends who come every year to the Sandhill
Crane Festival held in February, which is also stacking up to be a very nice
event.  (Please put February 7 on your calendar now.)

Don't forget to check out the web address!  www.whoopingcranesovertn.org
It is the most comprehensive site about the Whooping Cranes reintroduction
project anywhere. By clicking on the partners page, one can visit every web
site for all the Whooping Cranes Eastern Partnership members. Visit Operation
Migration, and click on In The Field, to get regular updates on how the new
flock of 17 immature whoopers are doing as they train to make the flight
south with ultra-light planes this year.  Remember the cranes will be
immatures as they come south with immature plumage. Necks and underwing
plumage will still have some of the reddish brown they exhibit as chicks.

Look for updates. And THANK YOU Tennessee birders and friends.

Cynthia Wilkerson
Hixson, TN