[TN-Bird] Whoopers to Leave Hiwassee Refuge to points in Georgia Tues. am.

  • From: JimmWilkerson@xxxxxx
  • To: albirds@xxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 23:23:09 EST

If you miss the dawn departure from Hiwassee Refuge, you have a second chance
to see the Whooping Cranes and Ultra-lights if weather permits them to leave.
 Bill Lishman of Operation MIgration, says the absolute best place for you
to see them next will be on exits 137 and 138  on I-75
and asks me to beg you all to please exit I-75 and park off the road in
parking areas near the exits and do not park on the ramps. If you will be
there from 7:45 to 9:00 you will be bound to see them. They fly parallel with
I-75 for about the distance between those exits, and will then fly away from
I-75 and be out of sight.  Please be careful, and if you are using binoculars
do not step into the roadways.  You should be able to see them without
binocs. Sorry this post is so late, but I just got home.
Look for an small airplane first and then 3 or 4 ultralights, which may or
may not be all together depending on if the birds split up and they have to
chase them.
Remember the flight could be delayed by wing icing, or fog at the Refuge.  I
will be canceled if it rains or SW winds are above 5 MPH sustained, or in the
event of any winds gusting to 20 MPH or more.  Check your weather channel
right after you watch the Leonid Meteor Showers for a morning forcast.
Good luck and Good birding.
They are awesome, and worth making the effort to go see them.

Cynthia Wilkerson
Whooping Cranes Over Tennessee
Chattanooga, Tennessee