[TN-Bird] Re: White-winged Scoters - Knox Co.

  • From: kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Ron Hoff <aves7000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 17:28:50 -0500 (EST)

Nice on the scoters.

One note for folks looking for the gull, the majority of the large gulls
that roost on Ft Loudoun Lake leave very early in the morning and fly
north to the Chestnut Ridge landfill off of I-75 in Anderson Co and don't
often return until early evening when they come to roost.

We live along the path they travel, and I will often see large flocks
totalling dozens up to 1-2000 Ring-billed Gulls and occassionally a
handful of Herring Gulls flying past in the morning starting just after
sunrise.  I've looked hard for other jokers in the mix over the years but,
except for Bonaparte's Gulls on a couple of occassions, not found any
obvious ones.  Definitely been looking since the earlier post though...
would make a nice yardbird.

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN

On Wed, 25 Feb 2015, Ron Hoff wrote:

> TN-birders,
>
> Dollyann and I went over to the Concord Marina area this afternoon, hoping to
> re-find the Lesser Black-backed Gull found found by the Clendenons the other
> day. No luck with that.
>
> On the way home, via Pellissippi Parkway going to Oak Ridge, we drove across
> the Solway Bridge on the Anderson County/Knox County line. Dollyann saw a
> bird on the water and we decided to check it out. We turned east onto Highway
> 170 and pulled into the first lakeside parking lot available. From there we
> set up the scope and found 3 WHITE-WINGED SCOTERS. One was directly under the
> bridge and the other two were floating around with a flock of Redheads. We
> found our first ever Anderson County White-winged Scoter last year under the
> same bridge on March 13.
>
> Great birding,
> Ron Hoff and Dollyann Myers
> Clinton, TN