[TN-Bird] Re: White-winged Scoter totals (and Video Post) - 2/1/2014

  • From: Mark McShane <marksmcshane@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 21:51:44 -0500

Hi All,

Georgia Birders-at-large Max Medley, of Dalton, and I birded Chickamauga
Reservoir from the dam up through Harrison Bay on Saturday.  In the early
afternoon we were back at the dam and were also amazed by the numbers of
WHITE-WINGED SCOTERS present even though we had been reading the reports
all week and had been there on Monday.  During that session there we
counted exactly 80 White-wingeds (as several small flights came in to join
the larger group with none departing for a while), plus the 1 BLACK SCOTER,
and the 1 LONG-TAILED DUCK previously reported.

We had seen a few more White-wingeds in our travels around the lake, but we
know that we counted 80 at once then together at the dam.  I shot a few
handheld phonescoped video clippets of the scoters, the Long-tailed, and
some CANVASBACKS up at Harrison Bay.  You know there's a lot of
White-wingeds when you can't even video a Long-tailed Duck without the
scoters flying through the frame!

-----

I put some handheld phonescoped video clips and still frames of the
birds up at the

020114 Chickamauga Reservoir

folder on my Box site.

-----

The Box site address for the folder is at:

http://app.box.com/shared/2yxtdkm3ta

Information concerning how to use Apple MOV movie files can be read in my
MOV Video File How-To.txt available at:

http://www.box.com/s/ojj2lap6sayrj83n9zzx

Some of the video files on the site can be a bit large and may take some
minutes to download if you don't have high-speed internet access, but it
may be best to download them to your desktop or somewhere on your computer
before running them in QuickTime. That way you can keep them if you like
them too. Being handheld and usually at a very high magnification they can
sometimes get a little jittery but they are still worth a look, especially
since you can drag through frame by frame in QuickTime and pause the video
on the good parts, playing at half speed in QuickTime is also a good idea.

-----

Good Birding All,

Mark

Mark McShane