[TN-Bird] White-crowned Grackle, Killer Sparrow

  • From: "David & Gloria Patterson" <dgpatterson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 17:49:27 -0000

A White-crowned Grackle visited our neighborhood May 3.  It's head was bright
white above the eyes, except for a jet black median stripe about 1/2 inch wide.
 The ten or so Common Grackles with it did not show proper deference to such a
splendid individual.

May 5 a male House Sparrow entered a bird house, apparently killed the adult
Carolina Chickadee on the nest, and ate the eggs/young (On my last observation,
Friday, 2 or 3 of the 5 eggs had hatched.)  I usually keep a bushing in the
entrance opening, which admits bluebirds and smaller birds but excludes House
Sparrows, but didn't think I needed it after the Chickadees occupied the house.

Forget the "Murder of Crows" mentioned so frequently on this list.  My Hawk
friends suggest "Aggravated Assault of Crows".  How about "Murder of Sparrows"?

David Patterson
Chattanooga, Hamilton Co TN