[TN-Bird] White Pelicans and Wood Storks

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 20:51:48 EDT

Sept. 11, 2003
Loosahatchie Bar
Wolf River Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN
Late this afternoon, I saw a single Wood Stork soaring over the Loosahatchie
Bar which although across the river from Mud Island is still part of
Tennessee. The bird came from the north and dropped behind the tree line. On
the north
end of the bar I was able to count over 75 White Pelicans lounging on a sand
spit. The water has dropped only slightly here since yesterday.

I decided to walk the railroad tracks and enter the low swampy area west of
DeWitt Spain Airport just north of Mud Island. Wood Storks have used this area
in the past.  I did find 4 more immature Wood Storks but there was very little
water left in the area. At 6:20 all the storks, egrets and herons left going
west and crossed the river possibly to a roost near Mosquito Lake.

These birds are still in the area but it does take some work. No Sabine's nor
shorebirds passed during my short stay. There were many more swallows today
and clouds of Chimney Swifts.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA