[TN-Bird] White County Woodcocks

  • From: "Douglas Downs" <douglas_downs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sstedman@xxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 09:45:23 -0600

On Saturday evening, I decided to take a quick trip up Bon Air Mountain in
eastern White County to the Bridgestone-Firestone Wilderness area in search
of American Woodcocks.  The B-F Wilderness is a wonderful area of natural
beauty that includes several small pocket lakes, large expanses of open
farmland and scrub, and a forested area leading down to the Caney Fork river
bottom.  Since you cannot drive into the wilderness, you have to park at one
of the three roadside entrances and hike in.

On the way in I observed Canada Geese and Ring-necked Ducks on two of the
lakes and a noisy flock of at least 200 Red-winged Blackbirds.  Also had
Grackles fly over in large numbers, but alas no Rusties or Brewers that
could be culled out.  I walked down one of the access lanes about 500 yards
into a large field edged by brush and trees in hopes of hearing a Woodcock
or two.  Much to my shock and pleasure one began his distinctive "peent"
within minutes of my arrival - and within 10 yards of where I was standing!
For the next twenty minutes I stood literally in the center of four
displaying American Woodcocks!  They would each "peent" several times, fly
upward in their circular spiral, flutter at about 30 feet above the ground
making a kissing sound, and then dive back to the surrounding brush to begin
the whole process again.  They were close enough that I was able to see the
birds in flight again and again.  All in all, quite a wonderful experience!

By the way, in the course of the evening, I also had at least six Northern
Harriers (4 male, 2 female) working the fields nearby and roosting together
in an open farm area in the distance.  I kept hoping against hope that a
Short-eared Owl or two might join them, but alas, I left for home satisfied
but unowled.

Douglas Downs
Sparta, White County, Tennessee