[TN-Bird] White County Rookery

  • From: "Douglas Downs" <douglas_downs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 21:07:05 -0500

Regarding the report of a heron rookery on upper Center Hill Lake near Rock
Island State Park, I have been unable to check that area out myself.
However, a ranger from RISP told me about a year ago that there was a
regular nesting area on or around Gar Island in Center Hill Lake.  Gar
Island is just around the first river bend downstream from RISP and is
likely the area Mac McWhirter mentioned in his posting.  That same ranger
(Gregg Garrison, now a former ranger) has reported seeing a black-crowned
night heron in the past and we have had several sightings of a
yellow-crowned night heron in RISP in past years.  Unfortunately, neither
have been spotted in 2006?but hope springs eternal.

Good birding.

Douglas Downs
White County, TN