[tn-bird] Whimbrel plus at Ensley

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 08:35:44 EDT

Aug. 3-4, 2002
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN

Saturday morning I was joined by Mike Todd at Ensley to look through the
thousands of shorebirds present for that one good bird. An adult molting
Golden-Plover was found and another immature Wilson's Phalarope.

The bird of the day gave us a start with its colorful plumage and after 5 RN
Stints found across the eastern US in recent days we had to hope. The problem
was size and after viewing the distant bird through the heat shimmers, all we
could do was call it what it was, a gorgeous adult Sanderling sporting a
bright rufous collar. I later got some nice photos of the bird through the
scope and for kicks photographed its lack of a hallux (hind toe) to show this
unique feature. Sanderling is the only peep that lacks this appendage and in
reverse the Black-bellied Plover has a remnant hind toe and it is the only
plover that possesses one.

After Mike left, I simmered and scanned enjoying the plumage's and antics of
the 15 species present and with one last pass through the fields I disturbed
an Upland Plover that was hidden in the tall growth and it gave some alarm
notes plus one wolf whistle but never showed itself.

On Sunday there were far fewer birds but as usual on a movement day a few
birds dropped back in. Things were a little slow but all the species from the
day before were present with many more immature Semipalmated Sandpipers to
savor. I must have looked through 2,000 Least SP in all plumage's from bright
to dull but I have yet to detect an immature of this species; it is usually
the first seen in the fall migration. Only a handful of Pectoral immatures
were seen among the thousands present. Two Buff-breasted, a new and always
welcomed species, were added to the list. A Baird's Sandpiper fed quite close
most of the morning. I had hoped for a Ruddy Turnstone but none could be
found.

I had just about given up and thought about heading north to the Reelfoot
area when a few Lesser Yellowlegs came swooping in and a small flock of
Pectorals dropped in at 10:50. I made another round and at 11:40 I came
across a distant large bird making its way across a flat. The determined,
camel like walk of the Whimbrel is unmistakable at any distance. The bird
flew and I got one shot and then spent two hours relocating the bird. The
Black-necked Stilts would not give this bird any peace and it was on the move
more than ever. I lost the bird again and re-found it only one other time
before I left at 4 PM. I have some good shots of the bird as it fed in
between harassings by BNS adults.

The bird is a very worn adult and is one of only four I've found at Ensley
over 20 years. This species appears in both spring and fall migration. I've
seen 16 Whimbrel in west TN, 9 in the spring (8 at one time on IS 13) and 7
in the fall from July 6 through Aug. 13.

A hot weekend bird wise and temp wise producing 19 species of Wonderful Wind
Birds........

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA