[TN-Bird] Where to go in/near Murfreesboro

  • From: Sharon Monett <sbm4him@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tn Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 14:56:56 -0500

My sister and I will be making a fairly quick trip to Murfreesboro this
Saturday. The primary purpose of the trip is to visit my son, who has had a
rough week and needs a night out!

However, I hope to be able to get a little bird photography in. The current
plan is to get there late tomorrow night. That would give me Saturday
morning until about 1 p.m. or so for birding.

We'll probably be staying somewhere pretty close to the MTSU campus.

Any suggestions on the best place(s) to go to get the best "bang for my
buck?"--that is, a good variety, a good chance at some interesting birds,
with the least amount of time commitment.

I'm especially interested in water birds (ducks, etc) and owls but open to
anything interesting!
Besides my built-in time constraints due to wanting to meet up with my son,
there is also the fact that my sister likes birds AND likes photography,
but doesn't really quite GET my obsession with it, so she doesn't have a
whole lot of patience for spending hours looking for a bird!

Anyone with any advice about places to go?
Right now, based on e-bird findings, I'm considering the Discovery Center
Murfree Springs Wetlands, Radnor Lake or Old Hickory Dam.

Sharon Monett
Knoxville, TN