[tn-bird] What were they?

  • From: "Bill Darnell" <bdarnel3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN Birds" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 20:59:06 -0600

This evening, just about sundown, I was sitting outside watching my newly
arrived flock of Martins, and picking off an occasional Starling.

I saw two flocks of something flying very high, in a loose "V" formation,
heading SOUTH!  At first, I thought they were Gulls, but looking with 8X
glasses proved they were not, and I never heard of a Gull in formation,
anyways.

They did not appear to have long necks, but the tails looker pretty long.  I
could not really tell the length of their legs. They had a slow wingbeat
like Cranes.  Anyone have any idea what these were?

Bill Darnell
Savannah, TN