[tn-bird] Wet Weather Ponds

  • From: Robbie Hassler <drhass@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 14:52:27 -0600

Tn-birders.......

Yesterday--3/22/02--we found ducks and gulls all over two ponds formed by the
recent heavy rains in a field within two miles of our home.  We returned today
and found much lower water level and fewer birds in each pond.  I imagine in
two more days they will be dry and the ducks will be on their way. The
following is a list of birds found yesterday and today.   Clear--cold--windy.

3/22/02 -------------------------------------------------3/23/02
2-- Bufflehead----------------------------------------------1
0-- Ring-necked Duck ----------------------------------1
23--Gadwall------------------------------------------------18
0-- Mallard----------------------------------------------------6
122-- Lesser Scaup--------------------------------------20
6-- N Shoveler-----------------------------------------------3
1--Blue-winged Teal---------------------------------------9
0--Green-winged Teal-------------------------------------3
1--Killdeer
2--Lesser Yellowlegs--------------------------------------2
28--Bonaparte's Gull--------------------------------------15

We have had no White-crowned Sparrows in years, but hit the jackpot at a
stinking cattle feedlot in the same field, where we found six around a small
bush.  They were feeding on the ground, heaven only knows what they were eating
because this place makes cow feed using a mixture of chicken litter, regular
feed and what else???????

Now we know where to find White-crowns if we can stand the odor!

Robbie Hassler, Byrdstown, TN--Pickett County