[TN-Bird] Western Meadowlarks / Reelfoot

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 14:36:56 EST

March 14, 2004
Near Black Bayou Handicap area
Lake Co. TN
Yesterday, I had a group of meadowlarks fly up from the side of highway 78
just south of the road into the handicap hunting area of Black Bayou. I
recognized the birds as Western and turned around and pulled up in the field
road
south of the Black Bayou handicap road on the east side of 78.

The birds had flown into some soybean stubble. I located the birds and was
trying to get photos of the distinct tail pattern (I did get one shot finally)
when two of the birds started trading half songs. This is typical of young
birds as they develop their songs through the winter.

I tried to get closer but the birds flew north to the edge of the trees. When
they flushed, I heard multiple "chupp" notes given, the only real diagnostic
vocalizations that can be used to separate the two species as they can sing
each others songs. There were 10 birds in the flock although I had only been
able to locate 8 in my scope. I checked two other locations where they had been
seen this winter but had no luck.

I did get 2 LeConte's Sparrows and 1 Short-eared Owl over near Bogota Refuge.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett, TN