[TN-Bird] Western Kingbirds at Ensley Bottoms

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 08:23:52 EDT

May 14, 2005
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN

Ken Allen and I searched the area Saturday and finally I had a pair of  birds
looking for a nest site. The female was looking at every niche and cranny
trying to find the right location. The male followed along and occasionally
sang.

At one time, the two Western Kingbirds checked out a site on one end of a
cross bar that had an Eastern Kingbird nesting on the other. The two species
did
 not seem to pay any attention to each other. If they do select that site,
it would be appropriate because the Eastern Kingbird's nest would be on the
eastern end, while the Western would be on the western end;o)

I have seen another bird away from this area a couple of times but it did
not seemed settled in an area and we could not locate any other Western
Kingbirds. Hopefully others will return but they experience heavy losses due to
 the
numerous Shrikes nesting in the area; these bring off hungry young  slightly
earlier than the kingbirds.

Good  Birding!!!
Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA