[tn-bird] Western Kingbird nests/ Ensley

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2002 16:41:59 EDT

Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN

After an hour of observation from several areas I was able to find two
Western Kingbird nests. One was in the exact location of the first nest found
last year and the other has moved to another tower just a few feet from the
second nest location of last year. With just the right angle you can view
both nests at the same time. The western most nest is really not visible as
only the bird can be seen sitting behind the cross bar where it is located.

There are still some territorial disputes going on between these two pair. I
saw only 4 birds in view at one time but somehow I got the idea there might
be another bird or pair other than these four birds. Maybe a little more time
will reveal the mystery pair or maybe my mind is just working on the
adrenaline rush of having these birds back again.

There are at least 13 Black-necked Stilt nests at various locations at the
pits and two pair were mating yet. We will see how many young they can pull
off this year with all the construction going on in the area. A family of
Kestrels and another of Loggerhead Shrikes in the area around the steam plant
mean any young Western Kingbirds will have to be wary.

Now off to Reelfoot to see what is hanging around.........

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA
Bartlett Tenn.