[TN-Bird] Western Kingbird Update - TN/MS

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ARBIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, albirds@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2004 20:43:44 EDT

July 3, 2004
Shelby Co. TN
DeSoto Co. MS

Good news and not so good news, At Ensley Bottoms the nest of the first pair
of Western Kingbirds that showed up early in the season has produced either 3
or 4 young. I got photos of the young being fed at the tower just northeast of
the steel plant and I think there are 4 young in the nest. The other 3 nests
at the steam plant have yet to hatch young.

In Mississippi, I located the 2 adult birds but they seemed to be feeding
just one youngster. This young bird could fly quite well and I have photos of
it
being fed by both parents. One of the adults would disappear for long stints
and may be feeding another young bird but I really think there is only one
surviving young. I've posted shots of this fledgling on the W. Kingbird web
page.
   http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/western_kingbird_ms

It is not unusual for a brood to split up and sometimes the birds are lead a
long distance from the nest area. In Memphis the families can disappear quite
quickly as the adults lead the young to better feeding areas and are soon
lost. As in Memphis there are a lot of Loggerhead Shrikes in the area of the
Mississippi nest, I counted 9 within a quarter mile (adult and young), and I've
seen these Shrikes take young Western Kingbirds in Memphis.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett, TN