[tn-bird] Western Grebe @ Norris

  • From: Leigh Loveday <lkloveday@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 18:37:48 -0700 (PDT)

We made the trek this evening to see the Grebe in question.
After nearly giving up, Leigh spotted it all the way across the
cove towards the main channel.

We viewed it for 10 min. w/ the scope. It was preening most of
the time. Seeing it in the sunlight in different positions, the
dark went below the eye. The dark looked thicker on the hindneck
too than the Clark's. So we vote Western. BUT, the bill looked
more yellow like the Clark's (although the sun was shining
brightly).

We got another closer look further up the road, but the grebe
disappeared before we got the scope set up. It was diving for
dinner, before a fishing boat spooked it.

Great find Tim, & thanks for the great directions as well.

An e-mail of your photo would be appreciated.

Robert & Leigh Loveday
Knoxville, TN