[TN-Bird] Western Grebe Continues at Pace Point.

  • From: Ruben Stoll <birdchaserrws@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 19:17:59 -0500

I got out to Pace Point, Henry County tonight about 5, (10-30-2015) in
time to watch the Western Grebe for about 15 minutes, in the same direction
as last week, (off the West side) just much closer.
I still didn't get good photos, it was starting to get dark and there was
some heat distortion.
Also seen off the opposite side of Pace Point (East) was an adult
Pacific Loon, with some alternate plumage still remaining. A larger than
normal black chinstrap made for an interesting looking bird. It was under
water much of the time, and I got only brief looks.
The most unexpected bird of the day was a late young Black Tern tagging
along with a group of Forster's that were feeding over the lake, definitely
looking like an odd-ball. The Forster's would dive in and grab what they
wanted, the poor little Black Tern, afraid of getting wet would weakly
pluck at the water and settle for meager leftovers.
Good birding, Ruben Stoll, Centerville TN.