[tn-bird] Western Grebe

  • From: "Evan James" <ewjames@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-Bird List" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 19:54:35 -0400

I spent around an hour and a half today observing the western grebe on
Norris Lake.  It was found around .2 miles before the steel bridge on Black
Fox Road.  I first located it swimming near a raft of DC Cormorants.  It
spent the majority of the time when I first located it preening.  I moved to
a closer spot and it began to feed actively.  The average dive was around 1
minute.  I stayed and watched it for 25 to 30 minutes.

I was able to get pictures through my scope with a digital camera.  If
anyone is interested, email me privately.  I also took pictures through my
scope using a film camera.  Once I get these developed, I can scan them if
you are interested.

Evan James
Townsend, TN