[TN-Bird] West TN River Run.

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 17:37:13 EDT

Aug. 29-30, 2009
Lauderdale-Dyer-Lake Counties TN

Saturday, I ran up the back roads along the river in Lauderdale Co, on  my
way to meet David Kirschke and Joe Guinn for an afternoon Island 13  foray.
Impressive numbers of Rough-winged Swallows lined the wires  for miles in
Lauderdale Co. along with large groups of Killdeer and flocks  of Horned Larks
coming up off the roadways.

Just north of the end of Wardlow's Pocket, I noted distant large white
birds lifting up and kettling but could not get a ID through the trees  while
driving. When I got to the pool a mile north of Wardlow's Pocket, I found  65
Great Egrets, 19 Little Blue immatures, 31 Snowy Egrets and 9 Great Blues.
Scanning the sky, I found and photographed 9 WOOD STORKS circling high over
the  river. Just across the Obion River in Dyer Co, I searched the willow
stand where  the ROSEATE SPOONBILL has been seen and after a long while,
found and  photographed the immature bird. On Sunday afternoon, I again located
pinkie  laying down back in the willows. Tommie Rogers pulled up while I was
there and  we enjoyed the over 600 assorted herons and egrets using the
area.

Saturday afternoon, I meet Joe Guinn and we toured the Lake County wet
spots, finding the Ibis Hole off of Earl Trim Road holding 72 Blue-winged Teal,
 17 Snowy's and a Great Egret, Killdeer, 6 Semipalmated Plovers, 2 adult
and an  immature Black-necked Stilt, 1 Greater Yellowlegs, 9 Lesser, 1
Solitary, 17  Semipalmated Sandpipers, 1 Western, 90 Least and 16 Pectoral
Sandpipers. We  had a Peregrine crash the party and chased a Least Sandpiper
out
over the  soybean field only to give up and circle into the sun.

At Jolly's Landing, on the east side of the neck of Bessie Bend, we
scanned the dredge spoils that were pumped up off the levee and found the best
gang of shorebirds of the weekend; Lots of Killdeer plus: 12 Semipalmated
Plover, 3 Lesser Yellowlegs, 3 Solitary Sandpipers, 131 Semipalmated
Sandpipers, 4 Western Sandpipers, 420 Least Sandpipers, 1 Baird's Sandpiper, 65

Pectoral Sandpipers, and 2 immature Stilt Sandpipers. On Sunday morning, we
found about the same numbers there until a Peregrine swept the flats  clean.

We met up with David late Saturday at Tiptonville Landing, not much  going
on but other trips to view the area over the 2 days produced 5 species of
swallows, 8 Black Terns, 9 Caspian Terns, 1 Forster's, an adult Osprey and  2
Bald Eagles (1-a/ 1 first year). We then went over to Island  13, where we
found fewer birds but still great looks at the following: the  Black-bellied
Plover that has been present for a week, Semipalmated Plovers, a  Piping
that came up calling and left not to be seen again, Killdeer, 2 immature
SANDERLING, Semipalmated, Western, and Least Sandpipers, a Baird's flyby  when
the birds were spooked, and a young BUFF-BREASTED Sandpiper. As always if
you stay late, you will get the travelers that will drop in for short visits
and  at dusk,  we had a group of small sandpipers drop out, plus about a half
 dozen Pectoral, two groups of 3 and 4 Lesser Yellowlegs and 2 Greater
Yellowlegs, all left before we did except for the Greater Yellowlegs.

On Sunday afternoon, I recorded a new high number for me on Island 13,
with FORTY TWO-  FOUR WHEELERS IN VIEW at one time.

Only 17 species of Wind Birds but still a productive weekend
overall............

Good Birding  !!!
Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6300 Memphis-Arlington Road
Bartlett, TN  38135
http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/
What is this feathered thing that  lifts my heart to the heavens.