[TN-Bird] West TN - Hatching Scissor-tailed FC

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 21:18:32 EDT

June 18, 2005
President's Island
Shelby Co. TN

An early visit to the Scissor-tailed nest site Saturday, revealed the  female
on the nest but continually changing positions and looking at the eggs.  The
male was stationed across the street the whole time I was there. I decided  to
return later and after noon, I discovered the female sitting on the wire
outside the nest. Soon the male returned and both went to the nest. He fed very

small young and after an hours vigil I was able to see three very small  fuzzy
heads. There could be another but 3 were all I could make out at one time.
They were having a tough time holding their heads up.

The Western Kingbird at Ensley was calmly sitting on her nest and
occasionally would fly out and catch a snack on the wing and return. The male
was seen
far out in the bean field.

At the pits, I found 10 Least Sandpipers, double the number I saw on Friday
and saw no White-rumped. I'm getting reports of early returning shorebirds to
our north. There was 1 Ring-billed Gull on McKellar Lake along with a bunch
of  displaced Least Terns. The Mississippi River just peaked after an 11  foot
rise and has eaten practically all the sandbars head to toe.

Good  Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett,  TN