[TN-Bird] Weekend birds

  • From: Lynne Davis <ldavis@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 21:21:35 +0000

Sunday, May 27, we took a sightseeing cruise on the Tennessee River at
Knoxville.  Besides the human landmarks pointed out by the guide, we also saw
lots of birds.
Two Osprey at the nest at the downstream end of Looney Island.
Two Cormorants near Crescent Bend
Several Great Blue Herons
Colony of Cliff Swallows under the Alcoa Highway Bridge (west side).

Sunday morning on the way to town from Seymour, I saw three Turkey Vultures on
Porterfield Gap Road.  One was feeding on a road-killed squirrel, and the
others were working on a possum about 50 yards away.  None of them seemed
inclined to give way to traffic!

Monday afternoon's visitors to the back yard kept things hopping with their
comings and goings:
Downy Woodpecker  eating suet
Tufted Titmouse at least 4 bathing in the water pan under the air conditioner
drain pipe
Northern Cardinal pair eating seeds and playing with each other
Female House Finch eating, eating, eating
Male Ruby-throated Hummingbird (1?)
Bluejay (1)
Mockingbird in front yard

Lynne Davis