[TN-Bird] Weekend Options

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 23:36:57 EDT

Warblers and Woodlands?
Shorebirds and Sandbars?
Rails and Rice?

A wide variety of birding choices this weekend. To the north of us people are
reporting a big push of warblers riding the funnel into our area formed by
the tropical storm to the East and the cold front coming from the West.

A quick run-through at the pits after work, revealed that a good 1/3 to 1/2
of the birds there this weekend had left but still too many to scan in a short
period so the stool and scope come out Saturday. The Mississippi, in just the
last week, has dropped a quick 14 FEET! Even though the pools on the sandbars
will not hold big numbers of shorebirds because of a lack of food, if a lot
are traveling they will at least take advantage of these sandy shores and rest
minute or two and who knows, Sabine's are still in the picture.

After the visit to the pits, I crossed over the bridge and spent 2 hours
looking at Rice Fields. They have been cutting rice for a month now and I found
field after field that had been harvested and only one where they were cutting.
There were not any wet tires on the combines and of course no Rails. Harvest
this year is again very early. The best concentrations of rails are found in
very late September and early October. The dry fields will not help. Kenny
Nichols called earlier today to see about the harvest over this way as the
workers
had been reporting rails in the fields over his way. We decided to pick
through the shorebirds in our respective honey holes Saturday and then work
toward
each other Saturday afternoon until one of us finds a productive field. It will
probably be a little early but who knows, Black, Yellow maybe?

Well, there are a lot of options, so get out and find a good one but let us
know;o)

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA