[TN-Bird] Weekend Field Trip report/ Cove and Cross Mt.

  • From: Jimi Moore <jimimoore@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 14:54:47 -0400

     I just finished compiling a list for the weekend field trips led by
Tony Headrick and myself. We had a wonderful time with a most exceptional
group of people on Saturday. This was the largest group I have ever led
and the results were somewhat phenomenal I thought as 40+? people  (I
stopped counting at 40) that showed up for the Cove Lake/Cross Mountain
area trip were treated to looks of several target birds in the scopes!
SWAINSON'S WARBLER ,  PROTHONOTARY , GOLDEN -WINGED WARBLER as well as
CERULEAN (finally)  were seen well, not only on Saturday, but Sunday as
well!
      We were all honored to be joined by Dr. Chandler Robbins and Dr.
Fred Alsop on Sunday, whose company we all enjoyed immensely. We were
thrilled that  Dr. Robbins spotted the singing Swainson's Warbler for us
after we had all  stared excitedly into the thicket of Privet hedge  for
about 10 minutes with no success, and the tension was mounting that we
were going to have a miss.
Wonderful scope views were enjoyed once again, many long time birders
saying this was the best look they had ever had of a Swainsons.
     Sunday's group was much smaller ( 14)  with several "leaders" it
seemed. I felt like I was "along for the ride" and was able to bird quite
a bit myself as others pointed out lots of birds for the newer birders.
On Sunday we also enjoyed watching a NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH in the scope
while he preened and sang away.
   From there, we drove up towards Cross Mt. where we walked a couple
strip mine shelf/ logging roads in the edge of Royal Blue WMA, and saw
numerous Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks, great looks at Golden-Winged Warbler in
the scope, Yellow-Breasted Chat, Scarlet Tanager , American Redstart,
Black and White Warbler and many more warblers and expected woodland
habitat species.  Ceruleans were MUCH harder to see this year due to much
"spot or selective cutting" of taller canopy trees where just 2 years ago
KTOS field  trip members had easy eye level looks at these little gems.
Many were heard singing, but had moved higher up the ridge and were most
all in the older, larger trees.
    An Eastern Phoebe was found on a nest in a small hole in a huge rock.
An American Redstart nest was seen, and the Mallard was still on her
"tree nest" at Cove Lake and was found to be quite an amusing "first
time" view for all  of a duck nesting in a tree other than Wood Ducks.
       There is much more detail I could share, but basically  I just
wanted to THANK everyone who came and for those that cooperated with my
one rule
" to be quiet while pursuing the elusive Swainson's Warbler", not only
for his sake, but so that ALL could be afforded a look.  I was thrilled
that EVERY single person in the large group was able to see him in the
scope. This will be a special memory to all, as it seems this is the ONLY
Swainson's Warbler so far at Cove Lake this year and who knows whether he
has a mate or will return again. We can only hope the other 4 that were
present the last 4 years  may still be somewhere on the way, or just
being not vocal so far.
   All target birds were seen with the exception of the WILLOW FLYCATCHER
on Saturday was not heard, but 2 were present and seen well by all on
Sunday.
There was also a Yellow Warbler present in the Willows.
    The slow trickle of migrants so evident by many this Spring
continued, with the only northbound Warbler being seen on our trip being
the  Northern Waterthrush.
There is not time to list all the species, but the breakdown was :
COVE LAKE- (both days)    65 species
TOTAL TRIP- both days by all members of the group      82 species.

Warbler totals for both days : 19-  much better than I thought at first-
but again all but the N. Waterthrush were local breeding residents.
Ceruleans took the prize with the highest number of singing males counted
by
me on both days, with an  estimation of 25 along all trails.
   Thanks to all who helped in the group. We could not have done it
without you.
Many new friends were made, as well as perfect looks at new life birds
for many.

Anyone desiring a complete list can contact me direct.

Nell Moore
Tony Headrick
KTOS