[TN-Bird] Weekend Bonus for TOS visitors - Black Duck ID / my bad

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 11:39:50 EDT

In a message dated 4/27/2005 6:54:08 P.M. Central Standard Time, OL COOT 1
writes:
but  there was a surprise pair of Black Ducks which I first thought might be
Mottled but better looks revealed their true ID.

April 28, 2005

I discovered these ducks just as I had to leave the pits yesterday and they
were sleeping on the bank and a long distance away. I was bothered by the bill
 of the female and could not see the male well but after getting a quick look
at  the wing partially stretched and the birds appearing dark, I decided they
were  Black Ducks.

The bright over head sun yesterday bleached out some field marks so I
worried over the ID last night off and on along with all the Ivory-billed
excitement.  I had taken some quick shots and did not get a chance to look  at
them
till this morning. I went back in the rain this AM and with slightly  closer
looks and checking the bills and feathering, I've decided we have a PAIR  of
MOTTLED DUCKS at the pits. The female's bill is more to the orange side  and
the
culmen is darker than I'm use to seeing but well within their  descriptions. I
believe this bird might be a first year female. The  internal markings of the
feathers and color of the head and clear neck plus the  small dark black spot
on the base of the mandible, all fit for the male which  sports a clear yellow
bill.

Maybe we will get nesting Mottled Ducks in TN this year after having  singles
over the past few years, so check all your dark ducks this summer.

I hope the ducks stay for the weekend at least and our TOS visitors get to
add a bird to their Tennessee List or just enjoy a great bird that is just
starting to appear in TN. Now Ensley sports Painted Bunting nests, Western
Kingbird's nests and Mottled Ducks maybe nesting almost exclusively for  TN.

Another bonus at Ensley on the weekend would be knowing for sure, that you
were within 80 miles of an Ivory-billed Woodpecker.:o)

Now, I can go to work.

Good  Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA