[TN-Bird] Weather / Hiwassee Refuge

  • From: JimmWilkerson@xxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 21:37:51 EST

I had been green with envy since some of you got snow!  Here in Hixson, we
finally got a small dusting on our deck at dusk.

I went back up to Hiwassee Refuge this morning.  At 12:15 Eastern, from the
gazebo, I saw the female Whooping Crane that has been present since November.
She was in the middle of the bush hogged corn field toward the rangers
residence. By 2 PM, with near frozen fingers and toes, I had given up on seeing
the
two juveniles that were present last Sunday afternoon.  On the way out, I
turned
right onto Blythe Ferry Lane.  A quarter mile down the road, where all the
good sparrows were seen in previous years, I happened to glance right and was
able to again pick up the same female I had seen earlier from inside the
refuge.
 As mentioned earlier, on the right side of the road, there is a silo in the
middle of another corn patch and she and about a thousand or more Sandhill
Cranes were foraging for the last remaining corn kernels.

It's sad to think, these guy's will all be gone in a couple weeks  :(    When
I got back home, all my feeders are empty.  Wonder what I missed?  It sure
wasn't the diet rootbeer!!!!  I got tanked up on fish and chips and A&W.

Jimmy Wilkerson
Hixson/Chattanooga, TN.