[TN-Bird] Watts Bar Dam

  • From: Ryan Kamp <lewa_green@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tn-birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2013 14:39:02 -0700 (PDT)

My sister and I took our kayaks out for their maiden voyage on Watts Bar Lake
yesterday, and had some nice incidental birding at the same time. The most
noteworthy sighting was an Osprey harassing a Black Vulture in flight because
the vulture was too close to the Osprey nest in a power line tower near the
boat launch. In another spot along the shore we flushed a sub-adult Bald Eagle,
and nearby was a vertical dirt/clay bank that had about seven Kingfisher sized
holes dotted about it, and a seemingly nervous Belted Kingfisher flying nearby
that didn't want to fly away from the area. Multiple swallows were flying over
the water, but unfortunately I failed to notice if they were Bank or Northern
Rough-winged. I was rather pleased to see the Black-crowned Night-heron, as
it's my first sighting for the year.

Watts Bar Dam, Meigs, US-TN
May 31, 2013 2:00 PM
Protocol: Incidental
11 species

Double-crested Cormorant  10
Great Blue Heron  3
Great Egret  1
Black-crowned Night-Heron  1
Black Vulture  3
Turkey Vulture  4
Osprey  2
Bald Eagle  1
Belted Kingfisher  1     Found a water-side bank that was likely a nesting
site, with some holes that could have been nests.
Great Crested Flycatcher  1     Heard only.
American Crow  2

View this checklist online at

Ryan Trenkamp
Niota, Tennessee
McMinn County

"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to
remain silent."
- Thomas Jefferson