[TN-Bird] Waterthrush on Saturday

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Virginia Reynolds <treynold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 08:14:29 -0700 (PDT)

Dean, and others,

I was there to see the waterthrush.  We all initially assumed it to
be a Northern.  The habitat was certainly better for Northern than
Louisiana (at least where the 2 birds breed, we all know that in
migration things are not so clear)  In fact, I was hoping for
Northern, since I've not seen one this year, and have seen many
Louisiana.

But in looking at it from about 30 yards, in good light, through a
Swarovski ATS 65 mm scope with a 20-60 zoom lens, it was apparent
that this bird:

1) had a light-colored (not buff) eyeline that did not simply peter
just behind the eye, but flared up well past the eye.  And,

2) had a buff belly, with a lighter chest.

I did not think to carefully observe the throat markings, nor do I
consider myself able to adequately judge bill length.  The legs were
pink, but I'm not sure if they were pink "enough" to be used to
support our identification.

The behavior was not anything I'd say could be used for ID.  It was
bobbing it's tail, but I believe the difference in tail wagging is
exagerrated in the books.  The bird was walking along the ground,
occasionally looking for food.  It stayed on the brush-covered side
of a shallow marshy "pond".  We observed it from the opposite side,
which had grass and sedges going to the waterline.  It did not appear
injured or ill.

Though It's been a few years, I had a lot of experience with both
birds when I live in the Poconos, where both birds are regular
breeders.  I saw both on the same day numerous times.

Is this record worth sending to the records committee?

Sharlie

--- K Dean EDWARDS <kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From the list of birds:
> > Louisiana Waterthrush
>
> Please note that LA Waterthrush is one of the earliest migrants and
> they should almost all be in Central America and the West Indies
> by mid-August.  I don't think there are very many accepted records
> for
> North America past mid-September.  Most likely a Northern
> Waterthrush.
> If not, it should be well-documented and reported.
>
> Dean Edwards
> Knoxville, TN

>   TN-Bird Net is owned by the Tennessee Ornithological Society
>        Neither the society(TOS) nor its moderator(s)
>         endorse the views or opinions expressed
>         by the members of this discussion group.
>
>          Moderator: Wallace Coffey, Bristol, TN
>                  wallace@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>      Visit the Tennessee Ornithological Society
>           web site at http://www.tnbirds.org
> Topographical Maps located at http://topozone.com/find.asp

=====
Charlie Muise, Naturalist near
Great Smoky Mountains National Park

"Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of cancer."  -Edward Abbey