[TN-Bird] Waterthrush & Others In Chattanooga Area

  • From: "David Stone" <rockyturf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 12:43:46 -0400

    Sorry this is a little late, but day before yesterday (Thursday, Aug. 23) I
saw either a Louisiana or Northern Waterthrush fly out of a small stream on the
golf course and up into a tree. I did not get a long look but did see the
stripes and the dipping rear end.
    I also saw a female Blue Grosbeak that looked like she was gathering
nesting material. Does anyone know if they would still be nesting? It would be
a surprise to me.

    Another observation I have not seen before is a Downy Woodpecker eating
black oil sunflower seed out of hanging feeder at my house. Red-bellied
Woodpeckers eat out of the feeder often but I do not have any record of ever
seeing a Downy eat out of the feeder (and Downys are eating suet near by
often). Perhaps the dry weather has dried up other things it usually eats this
time of year.

David Stone
The Honors Course
Ooltewah, Tn.