[TN-Bird] Watch for the bird continues

  • From: FINCH64@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 09:19:48 EST

I've been checking the feeder on and off since 6:30 this morning. No sign of
the bird again yet.
I did some searching for photos on the Internet of the bird and compared it
with photos of other possible similar species such as Purple Finch. The photos
of the Purple Finch are not the bird that I saw. I have also viewed photos of
Red Crossbills and White-winged Crossbills. The White-winged Crossbills from
head-on views are similar to what I saw. They are rather plump like the bird I
saw and the color is very much like what I saw. Also their bills are dark and
rather rounded and definitely hooked on the upper mandible.

I've also noticed that the illustrations in any field guides that I have show
Pine Grosbeaks as being very stream-lined. All of the photos I've seen online
of the bird show very plump roly-poly birds. Which IS in line with the bird
that I saw yesterday. They are frankly mostly all front and very little rear. I
also watched a Blue Jay hanging on a small suet feeder and could see how even
a larger bird can hide alot of it's length behind a small suet feeder. So I'm
rethinking that a Pine Grosbeak COULD conceivably sit on the narrow tray of
that feeder with most of it's body (it's roly poly plump breast and belly)
sticking off the side of the tray, with it's feet clutching the side of the
tray
and with it's short back end and tail tucked behind it on the feeder.

I'll let y'all know if it (whatever it is) returns and get video of it if it
does.

Barry Jernigan
Murfreesboro, Rutherford Co, TN